Follow The Bear

Follow The Bear


Sunday, February 05, 2006

I *Do* Run Run Run, I Do Run Run!

Discipline: Running
Distance: 8 miles
Time: 1:06:16
Av mins/mile: 8:17

The original plan was to do this run, then have a swim in the afternoon, but I faffed about a bit too long in the morning, and didn't start the run until about 11am. The start of the run is a bit dreary, with fairly dull roads, but then you cross Hampton Court Bridge, and run along the river (Thames) for a few miles. It's absolutely gorgeous and I'd forgotten just how pleasureable that bit of the run can be.

The course is near as damn it flat, with only slight downhills and inclines, but even on these my quads really complained. I guess the last few days have included quite a lot - over two hours swimming and a twenty mile bike ride, but I've got to start getting used to that. My legs didn't have the spring they used to, but then that's something I've noticed on a lot of runs - and something to watch as it needs sorting.

I stopped several times for pee-stops (too much tea beforehand!) and to stretch my quads, but was pleasantly pleased to cross Kingston Bridge and be into the last mile and a half. It's much easier running that bit of the route before ten - going down the road past Woollies I really had to fight my way through, and actually stop on a couple of occasions!

I found the finish was closer than I thought, and even toyed with doing another couple of miles as I'd finish with my legs tired but still not feeling dead as a couple of dodos, but decided against it - my first eight mile run for months is only a few days ago - no point going mad. I'll push up to ten this week, after a day without any cycling :o)

I could still have swum, but I was sleepy, and fell asleep after lunch for 90 minutes, by which time the swim would have been ridiculously short. If only the pool stayed open until 5pm, but no big deal - this has been a good week for training!

3 Comments:

Blogger fraggle said...

Glad it's not just me that needs the pee stops then!!

11:38 am  
Blogger Evil Pixie said...

Well done Bear and good call not to carry on! Stay injury free!

11:41 am  
Blogger WildWill said...

your pace is looking quite good there Bear

Is this Marathon pace?

8:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home